Re: N Taenia egg eating!

My point about is that adding CO2 is that I want the plants to grow as fast as possible because then they work as filters and maintain the quality of the water. I have never had ANY ammonia or nitrates in my planted tanks and I'm convinced that the fish are happier. Without plants and CO2 I have stressed fish and more aggression. At present the only tanks I have that aren't planted are quarantine tanks and I have three stressed out fish (out of 40), for me that is too high a percentage but makes it easier to dose medication.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Sanchez <barbax2@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:15:12 -0800 (PST)
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: Re: N Taenia egg eating!

Re: Why are yoiu using a CO2 system if you have water with
Re: oKH to begin with Colin? The lower the KH the higer
Re: the CO2 level. AS long as you dont churn the water
Re: with some power filter or something you should be
Re: fine. I am not saying CO2 does not work I am just
Re: saying with a KH of 0 the need fopr CO2 the need for
Re: CO2 is far less greater. In addition Colin if you
Re: aquaruim plants are thriving as you say they are, they
Re: will also serve to maintain the pH. As they grow and
Re: utilize more CO2 the pH will rise because they are
Re: using more and more CO2 and thus there is less
Re: available to form carbonic acid (which is used to by
Re: the pH equation to form an acidic pH) This can be
Re: illustarted by two examples. I have a good buddy who
Re: has a lake on his property. The lake has a
Re: counductivty of 70 us/cm, 0 DH, 0 KH, and a pH of 6.5.
Re: My friend pumps this water to use for his tanks and
Re: ponds. When the water is put in a 10 gallon barebottom
Re: tank the water quickly drops to a pH of 5.5 or less.
Re: In contrast if he puts the water in a heavily planted
Re: tank the waters pH will be much higer as the plants
Re: are using up the CO2.
Re: Another example is my well water counductivty of 15
Re: us/cm or less 0 DH, 0 KH, and a pH of 4.5. When i add
Re: this water to a heavy planted tank it rises very
Re: quickly to a pH 6.7 in my main show tank that has 2
Re: 175 watt MH and 2 power compacts. The plants are
Re: cranking in that tank I throw a grocery store sized
Re: plastic bag of plants away from that tank just about
Re: every other week.
Re:
Re: I will admit I have not tried this while injecting CO2
Re: so do be carefull I wouldnt want you to kill your
Re: fish. I just dont think you may need the CO2. And who
Re: knows that 2 DH and you still havent checked the KH
Re: may be what is holding you back from success with your
Re: N.taenia. Good luck.
Re:
Re: P.S. as far as the comment about the wrestling. Yes
Re: you have started a flame war, gonn ahave to hit you
Re: over the head with a chair or some foreign object :)
Re: just kidding couldnt resist. Good luck. You are
Re: corre3ct to spare everyone else we should just add to
Re: the subject line the spam or what ever off topic
Re: subject we are talking about. I think John did that
Re: and I follwed that example. Good idea.
Re:
Re:
Re: David Sanchez
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re: --- Colin Gorton <mr_apisto@graffiti.net> wrote:
Re: > I don't want to use pure RO as I'm adding CO2 and
Re: > want to be able to maintain a constant pH, which
Re: > I've found to be easier with a small amount of
Re: > hardness. I have a peat/black gravel substrate which
Re: > tends to balance things up and allows the plants to
Re: > do well. Unfortunately at the moment I've got rather
Re: > a lot of algae on the glass but I don't want to do
Re: > anything about it for the moment cause all the
Re: > aquaria are still settling in after rebuilds around
Re: > the Christmas period. Within a couple of months I'll
Re: > have them all clean. BTW I'm using MH lights, some
Re: > home made others shop bought. This allows me to have
Re: > lots of floating plants, mostly Eichornia Chrasipes
Re: > (water Hyacinth) but also lilies, Pistia Stratiotes
Re: > (water lettuce) and several plants which are growing
Re: > out of the water, feet in it.
Re: > --
Re: >
Re: >
Re: > C:-)lin
Re: >
Re: > They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I
Re: > smiled, and sure enough...
Re: >
Re: > _______________________________________________
Re: >
Re: > Powered by Outblaze
Re: >
Re: >
Re: >
Re: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: > This is the apistogramma mailing list,
Re: > apisto@listbox.com.
Re: > For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe
Re: > or get help,
Re: > email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Re:
Re:
Re: __________________________________________________
Re: Do You Yahoo!?
Re: Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
Re: http://auctions.yahoo.com
Re:
Re:
Re: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...