Re: "NY" Apisto mystery

Kevin,

Your "Nysante" is either a made up name or a botched spelling of 'nijsseni'.
It doesn't sound like any location name that I've ever heard of.

Both A. cacatuoides & A. bitaeniata have abdominal stripes. The broad
abdominal stripe of A. bitaeniata comes & goes depending on mood. The
abdominal stripes on A. cacatuoides are more distinct, forming 3-4 wavy
stripes. On young fish with washed out colors (like in a bare dealer's tank),
the lips of A. cacatuoides are much larger - nearly twice as thick - as those
seen on the typical apisto (including A. bitaeniata). A. bitaeniata also has
a metallic lip spot, seen of all agassizii group species, something not seen
on A. cacatuoides. I hope this helps.

Mike Wise