Re: tank with apistos cacatuoides

Alfredo Figueiredo wrote:

> I'm from Portugal (and..by the way, don't expect to defeat us in the World Cup
> :).

Alfredo,

I believe you - but is that not the same thing many in France said about
Senegal? ;-)

> The temperature is 26ºC all the time, I feed them frozen adult artemia
> salina (shrimps).

Personally, I prefer a more varied diet. A. cacatuoides is not a choosy fish
when it comes to food.

> The nitrates are very very low, almost undetectable (I'm not sure excatly).
> The hardness is about 5ºdH

Those values seem acceptable.

> I'm going to take some pictures now of the fishes, I would like to hear from
> you to decide what to do...add male? add a. agassizi (which is a species I
> love)?

I always worry about inbred fish. Could the more intense colors found in females
be testosterone related? I'm do not mean artificially induced, but genetically
bred into the strain. All females produce testosterone. It is just lower than
the amount of estrogen. In these domestic strains, if testosterone is related to
the color of the female then perhaps it also affects their fertility. I don't
know if this is true, but it is something to think about.

Mike Wise