Re: systematics

Greg,

I doubt that many apisto hobbyists have seen the true A. viejita. Most of the domestic, highly colored forms produced for the hobby are either A. sp. Red-flecked/Rotflecken (= "A. viejita" Color Form II in Linke & Staeck) or a cross between several closely related macmasteri-group species. The true A. viejita (= A. viejita Color Form I) only recently was reimported.

The cheek patch color really doesn't indicate anything on wild fish. Most males show some. All that it indicates is that your fish have been bred for color and that your feeding has enhanced the color. Wild females don't usually show any red color. What you have is a domestic fish, similar to the Red Helleri/Swordtail. This, too, is a fish that has been color enhanced by selective breeding & crossing with closely related species. If you like them, then I would just keep them, cross breed them, & be happy with them. Just realize what they are.

Mike Wise

Grzegorz Prusinowski wrote:

Thanks Mike,
That's some light on the subject.
So it seems I have never seen a true A. viejita. Do the red
dots on the cheeks suggest sth? The male has them, the
female didn't have them (lost her some time ago), their
offsprings have them regardless of sex. I also have 2 other
females, of which one has those red spots.
All the fish are from different sources, perhaps Czech
breed.
All have red tops and bottoms of the tail, and (aside of one
female) reddish ventral fins.
The male has slightly truncated tail, the offspring males
don't present that, but they are less than 5 months old.
They have more red on the tail.

Now, that's a puzzle.

Regards
Greg