Re: damn pertensis!

Mike Jacobs wrote:

> Boy am I with you here Jason.........I have been fighting this for about
> 5-6-7 months and I just don't trust the books.  I know you guys have
> been giving this your all and I even wrote in the books the differences
> you guys gave me.....but it is hard to get these fish to slow down to
> count rows and I do not trust those books......the bork book is
> beautiful but they are not like any Apisto's I buy.  Does anyone out
> there have some good valid pic's of these fish?

If you don't trust any of the books, then I guess the only "valid pic" you can trust
is the photo of the holotype in Haseman's 1911 paper! It's a nice photo (for a dead
fish) and the retouching was done well, too.

Seriously, the photos in Aqualog (p. 55 bottom row), Linke & Staeck (p. 107) are of
A. pertensis. The photo in Mayland & Borks's book (p. 105) and Richter's (p. 117)
look like they may be other populations (species?), possibly intermediate between A.
pertensis & A. meinkeni. The number of spot rows in the tail isn't necessarily as
important as the width of the spots vs. width of the interstitial area around them
and the placement of the rows (regular or irregular). Additionally, this is only one
minor feature used to ID this species. When in doubt call your fish A. cf. pertensis
(whatever that is).

Mike Wise