Re: damn pertensis!

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> Mke wrote-
>
> -The true A. pertensis typically has 6 (5-7) rows
> -of broad red spots in the tail. There are other species that have much
> narrower
> -spot rows (10 or more).
>
> So I've just been doing a thorough comparison of pertensis & meinkeni in the
> Mayland/Bork book.
> According to their pics pertensis has 9 rows of spots and meinkeni has 6/7
> rows.
> Do you think this could be another mis-identification in their book.

I doubt it. It's probably just a population of A. pertensis with a couple more
rows of spot. The type material had 5-7 rows of spots on their tails, but other
populations have more. The width of the spot rows is a more diagnostic feature.
Compare the width of the red spots on A. pertensis in any of the books with those
of A. cf. pertensis in the Aqualog book. A. pertensis has broad spots with narrow
interstitial areas. The several different forms of A. cf. pertensis on page 55 of
the Aqualog books have narrow spots & wide interstitial areas. The A. cf.
pertensis "NEGRO" on page 56 looks like a normal A. pertensis to me, just has part
of its tail missing.

>  Their pertensis' caudal is damaged (Linke & Staeck say meinkeni has a an
> asymetrical caudal) making it not such a good specimen for identification if L
> &S are correct.

They are correct. The spot rows in upper lobe of the tail also appear out of line
with those of the lower lobe. Again, there are several populations (species?) of
A. meinkeni. The type material of A. meinkeni has "up to 8-10" spot rows in the
caudal fin. There are other forms with fewer and some with a pale wedge-like
region in the middle of the tail between the lobes. Whether these make them
different species or just different populations of A. meinkeni depends on who's
doing the ID (splitter vs. clumper).

> I hate to bore you all with this but I really want to nail it !

If you really want to "nail it" take the big male, kill it, and send it to Dr.
Kullander for ID. No? (Didn't think so.)

Mike Wise