Re: damn pertensis!

Mike Jacobs wrote:

> Marco wrote...
> >I strongly recommend the original description of A. meinkeni by
> >Kullander, 1980: there is a black & white picture of a preserved
> >specimen,
>
> Great suggestion.....thanks.....where does one find these descriptions.
> Libraries.........the internet???

Dear Mike:

You can find it at a library.
Look for: "Bonner Zoologische Monographien, Nr. 14, 1980". This is
Kullander's paper containing A. meinkeni's original description, as well
as many other species.
I agree with what Mike Wise suggested, i.e., that A. pertensis is not a
single, but a complex of species. So many of the so-called A. pertensis-
populations, A. cf. pertensis, A. aff. pertensis or ditto for the A.
meinkeni in the hobby should represent distinct, closely related
species.
I've collected myself the real A. meinkeni (from type locality, the
village of Trovao at Rio Uaupes) and can tell you that the light
interspaces are always broader or equal in width to the dark bars, just
exactly as in Kullander's picture. I have preserved a few specimens (now
deposited at the NR Museum in Stockholm, where Kullander works) and have
a slide from this specimen (dead, after preservation in formaline, but
caudal fin pattern clearly visible).

The real A. pertensis, like Mike Wise said, is best referred to as
Haseman's photo/drawing.
It's a fish from Rio Negro.

I've collected some fishes like A. meinkeni, as the so-called A. cf.
meinkeni "Tefé", but it may represent another distinct, closely related
species. (I've shown a slide of this fish at last Apistogramma Study
Group lecture in St. Louis).

Cheers.