Re: Apistogramma sp. "Pebas/Ampiyacu" ?

ProfPhilo@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all you apistophiles,
>
> I am a newcomer to this list and have enjoyed all the email I've been getting
> the past few days since I signed on.
>
> I've been into cichlids, particularily dwarfs, for about 9 yrs now, but am
> just discovering the joys of online fish madness.
>
> Anyhow, can anyone give me any info on A. "Pebas"?
> I know that it is in the A. macmasteri group, but that is about it.
> so ANY info is appriciated.

Tarah,

A. sp. Pebas is actually more closely related to A. sp. Rotpunkt. I place it in
the same species-group. It was originally introduced into the hobby by Yamazaki,
et. al. in 1997 (in Japan). There is, however, an excellent little report on this
fish in Tetra Informationen #142, page 21 with a good photo. ASG members can get
a copy from me for the cost of copying (color or B&W) plus postage and handling.
It's reported to come from the Rio Ampyacu, a tributary of the Amazon just west
of the city of Pebas, Peru. I haven't heard of any problems breeding this
species, although I've not had it.

> Exactly what book have you been looking at pictures in?

Since your interested in books "auf Deutsch" I can recommend the following:

Linke & Staeck (1997) Amerikanische Cichliden I - Kleine Buntbarsche (Tetra
Verlag). This book is an updated version of the 1994 English translation of the
1992 German 4th revised edtion. It has more species listed in it than the English
edition. Interestingly, the German book not only is less expensive but also
better bound and printed on better paper, and comes with a dust jacket!

Mayland & Bork (1997) Zwergbutbarsche - Südamerikanische Geophaginen und
Crenicarinen (Landbuch Verlag). This is the original book that Aqualog published
in English as South American Dwarf Cichlids. The German version is much less
expensive. I've bought books directly from Landbuch in the past. They are very
helpful.

Glaser & Glaser, (1996 + supl.), Southamerican Cichlids II (Verlag A.C.S. GmbH).
This is the same Aqualog book mentioned so often on this list. It is written
side-by-side in both German & English so you can buy it here. I'd recommend
reading the German part; I cringe everytime I start reading the Germenglish
section (can't they afford an English translator?). This is basically a dwarf
cichlid picture book that is also intended to be used with Aquarium Glaser's fish
price lists (That's another story). Most of the fish are correctly ID'd, but
several are not and from the quality of some of the photos others are hard to
tell. Ignore the 'Determination Chart', it makes no sense at all. Still, this is
a valuable book to get. Verlag A.C.S. also puts out supplements (there are
presently 2 for this book) and Aqualog News. Aqualog News is a newspaper-like
quarterly that has dwarf cichlid articles in it from time to time. They print it
in several languages, so to get the German copy (and avoid the Germenglish
version) you'll have to subscribe through the German distributor.

Schaefer (1994) Erfolg mit Zwergcichliden (bede-Verlag). This is actually an
expanded version of a Japanese book by Matsuzaka, et. al. that's been translated
into German by a Dutch aquarist (Talk about international!). The first 3 chapters
have some really useful information. The rest is more of a picture book with some
superb photos. It includes genera not usually seen in dwarf books like
Cleithracara, Guianacara, & Teleocichla.

If you're lucky enough to find some old, out of print, books I'd recommend:

Schmettakamp (1982) Die Zwergcichliden Südamerikas (Landbuch Verlag). This is, in
my honest opinion (=imho?), still the best book on describing how to breed the
different species of dwarf cichlids. It virtually goes about this in
cookbook-like style. It also has an excellent bibliography that is set up by
species. Graham Rowe (Australia) still has copies of this book for sale. You can
contact him at hgrowe@blaze.net.au. For those English speakers who might be
interested in the book, I still have copies of my English translation available.

Koslowski (1985) Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Zwergcichliden (Edition
Kernen/Reimer-Hobbing GmbH). This is without a doubt the BEST book ever written
on dwarf cichlids. Although it's almost 15 years old, it is still accurate in
almost every detail. The only changes that it needs are to change some of the
names of  some then undescribed species to their more recently described species
names. This book goes about IDing dwarfs in a very logical way. None of this
alphabetical order garbage. All similar looking species are lumped together so
you don't have to go looking through the whole book just to find your fish. It's
still the only book to picture some of the rarer species. Anyone lucky enough to
have a copy of this can get my English translation from me.

There are 2 more dwarf cichlid books due out soon.

Römer (1998) Cichliden Atlas, Band 1 (Mergus Verlag GmbH). This is the book so
many apisto nut are looking forward to. It's supposed to have nearly 1400 color
photos and the largest bibliography on Apistogramma ever published. It was due
out earlier this year, but editing problems have set it back. The German version
is expected to cost around DM 79,00, not cheap.

The other book is the companion to Stawikowski & Werner's Buntbarsche Amerikas
Band 1. The above book is an expanded version of the authors' two books Die
Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt - Mittelamerika and Südamerika. It is being published
by the same publisher (Edition Kernen/Reimer-Hobbing GmbH). Hopefully,
Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 2 is an updated and expanded edition of the Koslowski
book.

Most of the publishers in Germany will sell directly to us in this country.  I've
bought books from both Landbuch and Reimer-Hobbing with no problem at all. Just
write to them and ask for a catalog and then order from it (ask about postage
while you're at it).  Hope this helps.

Mike Wise