Spawning in Tiny Tanks

Doug Brown, asks in apisto #211,,

>5) Any hints on spawning apistos specifically >in 10G and smaller tanks? I
seem to have no >problems with even my most difficult apistos >once I move
them to 29G or 55G but I have >had zero spawns in my 10's or 5 and
>amtherefore hesitant to consider stocking a >fish room with them!

Hi Folks,, Hi Doug,,

I have been spawning Apistos in 5 gallon tanks for almost 1 year now.  I
find it works great.  I have a male triple red Cacatuoides who has lived in
a 5 gallon tank now, for 6 months or so. He as a little plastic plant, some
java moss, and a Tronic heater, and a Accuclear Mini filter. He has 2
enclosed, flat floor, semicircular, flower pots in his tank also. I bring
him one female at a time, they start to court,, and about 1 week later, she
is sitting in a pot filled with eggs. Once the eggs are hatched, I take
flower pot out, with the mom and fry in it. I then put the pot into a 3 1/2
gallon tank, with a corner air driven filter. Mom then comes out and looks
at her new surroundings, and then tends her brood. The fry then go
freeswimming, and I start feeing brine.

I usually bring the male another female, right away, and the courting starts
again. Right now I have 3 mother's tending fry, in 3 1/2 gallon tanks. And
the male is courting his guts out with the female I gave him yesterday.

So far, I have spawned Cacatuoides, Agassizzi, Norberti, Bitaeniata,
Hongsloi, Borelli, and Pleurotaenia's this way. Only trick is you gotta do
40% water changes every third day on these tiny tanks, to keep the water
quality up. No probs though, takes about 3 minutes per tank to do, with a
python. 3 1/2 gallon tanks are great for mom's and fry, cos the shrimps get
to the little guys. I usually leave the females with their spawn, for about
1 month or so, then back to the male one by one they go!!

Worx for me,, hehe, I have so many Apistos right now, I can't even get rid
of them!! I have Apistos in all my community tanks now, living with guppies,
swords, plaites, etc.etc. Apistos coming out of my ears, right now!!

Vicky and her fishy circus