Re: species flock

If you are considering mixed species flocks/schools/herds as groups of
different organisms which mutually benefit from their association, I donīt
know of this structure among freshwater fish.  The classic example are
mixed undercanopy feeding flocks of birds in the neotropics.  They exhibit
clearly defined foraging levels, a "division of labor," and defend a "Group
Territory" from other mixed flocks. These flocks follow army ants and
forage in the periphery of the antīs path.  African ungulates form mixed
species groups with "group" benefits, but more loosely structured.  In fish
I donīt remember having seen, read or heard anything about structured
flocks/schools, beyond a community temporarily feeding together.

Peter
plasticolor@guate.net