Re: Guyana species

Joe,

I don't know what fish you're interested in, but the only known dwarf cichlids from
northeastern Guyana are Nannacara anomala, A. ortmanni & A. steindachneri. A.
steindachneri is found only as far north as the Essequibo River. In the interior you
can find Crenicara punctulatum and the hard to reach Mazarunia mazarunii. Dr.
Rosemary H. Lowe-McConnell wrote an excellent paper entitled "The cichlid fishes of
Guyana, South America, with notes on their geology and breeding behavior"
(Zoological Journal of the Linnaeus Society, 1969, 48:255-302). The reference is a
bit dated in some of the names, however. What other groups of fish are you looking
for?

Mike Wise