Re: Pelv taeniatus

Myongsu Kong wrote:

> Congratulations on your success.  I am very envious.  I
> have been trying to spawn "Wouri" for the last five months with
> minimal success.  Would you mind sharing information on your
> spawn?  In particular, I am curious as to water parameters
> (i.e., pH, dKH, dH, temperature), tank size/filtration/substrate,
> food, presence of dither fish or plants, water change schedule,
> whether the fish were F0s, F1s or later, the barometric pressure
> at the time of spawning, whether a high/low pressure front was
> passing through, the number of horse shoes and rabbit's feet
> kept near the tank (if any), the phase of the moon, the alignment
> of the planets, etc.   You know, all the good stuff!
>
> Seriously, though, I would appreciate whatever information you
> have to share including a description of the courtship, if possible.

I'll give you what I can.  The temp was 78' F.  The pH was 6.0.  I have
very hard water around here (KC - lots of limestone here), but I diluted
it with 2 parts rainwater to 1 part very hard tap water.  The fish are
in a 15 gallon tank with a ATI sponge filter for filtration.  Java Fern
and water sprite are moderately placed throughout the tank.  But the
thing that triggered the spawning was a small 3" flower pot that I place
inverted in the tank.  I enlarged the drain hole so that the female
could barely squeeze into the pot.  The next day she decorated the top
of her "cave" with some of the silica substrate.

The second spawning occurred in the 15 next to the first spawn.  The
parents of both spawnings were constantly showing and flashing at the
rival pair.  After the success of the first spawn I placed a flower pot
in the second tank.  This tank had a natural small gravel for
substrate.  A female copied the first female's decorated habits and
placed gravel around the entrance of her cave.  This tank housed 2 pair
of Pelv. taeniatus "Wouri".  After the spawning I checked the pH.  This
tank was at 4.35!  Temp at 78' also. I feel the secret is the inverted
flower pot.  I was going to get a conductivity meter, but have been
willing to part with the money.  I could have bought one in our auction
last year for under $30!! Damn, I was stupid.  I know better now.

As far as I know the weather has been pretty stable and I don't know of
any low pressure situations that might preceed a rainstorm.  Tonite
however, it is supposed to rain.  Come on cories!!

The tanks have lights on timers and I haven't changed the photoperiod.

Incidently, I had some A. caucatodies spawn inside a piece of driftwood
in a hole that I did not know existed till I saw the female peaking her
head out of the hole.  It was smaller than a dime on the 3 foot piece of
wood.  It reminded me of the way the flowerpots were used.  Has anyone
else used flowerpots this way (inverted)?  Hope this all helps!

Michael