Re: Dicrossus

Doug,

The best way to tell them apart is by the shape of the checkerboard patches.
Dicrossus filamentosus has patches that are wider and less deep, while D.
maculatus has spots that are about the same width & height (the front ones being
deeper & narrower). Price is also a good indicator. D. filamentosus is usually
relatively inexpensive because they are wild caught fish, while most D. maculatus
are domestics and cost much more. Besides, D. maculatus are rarely listed simply
as checkerboards. Without seeing them, I'd bet they're D. filamentosus.

Mike Wise