Re: raising cichlids without their parents

Dr. Kadar writes:

> Aside from making lots of ?money? raising these fish, what 's the point when
>  fish raised without parents won't be capable of raising their own fry.

Says who?

>  So he sells, basically "seconds" to people for the price of top quality
fish.

I'll take a dozen.

>  I consider that fraudulent business practice.  Not only that, but
>  eventually, unless the fish are raised like breeders are raising Angelfish,
>  the line will die out.

How are they raising angels?  I have gotten angels that "won't tend their eggs
and fry" tend for up to ten days after free swimming before I separate them.
And I have raised two generations of A. agassizii by artificial means and then
left the second generation keep their eggs.  And guess what?  They did just
fine.  This is not necessarily an imprinted or learned behavior.  It is a
response to optimum environments.

>Dwarf cichlids don't spawn nearly as much as these
>  other fish to make massive breeding operations worthwhile.

Tell that to Dave Soares.  Oh, yeah, Kaycy probably has something to say about
that, too.  And several others on this list, including the fellow who started
this thread.  He is doing it large-scale enough to get through college on it.

>   I don't think the majority of people who purchase dwarf cichlids do so for
>  the sole purpose of seeing them swim around and around in their aquaria
>  until they die.  So why does he wittingly sell "handicapped" fish?

Handicapped?  That's a pretty smug assumption, Doc.

>  I think most "serious" breeders will agree with me, so I don't feel at all
>  afraid to provide my opinions regarding this most unethical practice.

And now you are applying ethics?  It is somehow immoral to do this?

>  Dr.G. Kadar

We didn't sign onto this list to get flamed, Doc, so mellow out, okay?

Bob Dixon