Re: raising cichlids without their parents

I smell smoke. Must be flames... We keep having this debate. There's a
rich archive somewhere.
I raise my fish with the parents unless I'm desperate about losing a
rare fish. In that case, I raise the stolen fry and let them raise their
own broods from the safety of a larger population. It's never backfired
unless I never got a second generation spawning.
That being said, I've traded fish with John Wubbolt, and they've turned
out to be great parents. Nothing second rate, and NEVER incapable of
raising their own fry. I just don't see any data to support these
'accusations' or their tone.
I don't find taking the eggs to be a satisfying way to raise my fish, so
I don't do it. If someone else does, I see no scientific data to prove
harm, just anecdotes from other species. John takes the fry, I don't.
When I got the fish from John, they behaved no differently than the
'parent raised' fish I had passed to him.
When I had double-red cacatuoides, no doubt the result of generations of
egg-taking as they were strictly commercial fish-farm in origin, pairs
left on their own with their fry behaved exactly the same as two wild
cacatuoides forms I had at the same time.
We're talking fishkeeping style here, and I believe this thread should
unravel...
-Gary Elson