Re: A. afanini?

Strictly speaking, Frederik is correct. "cf." (Latin for confer = compares with),
as used in scientific papers, indicates that the specimen resembles the named
species very closely, but has certain minor features not found on the type
specimens. Whether it is a different population of the named species or a
different species altogether would require more research into the species'
population variations than was undertaken by the author. "sp. aff. or affin."
(Latin for affinis = related to) is used in similar papers for specimens that are
closely related to the named species but show features that make it obvious that
it is a different species. In practical terms the author decides whether to use
"cf." or "sp. aff." based on his own experience (bias?).