Re: Pertensis

Roger tells me these fish were caught on Mt.San Antonio, a good deal
south of Puerto Ayacucho. Never heard of this mountain, but I guess
the Venezuelan military has. I think the ruins they were looking at
are the Incas. How would you aquire a good topographical map of that
area. Somebody told me to try the U.S.G.S., but I do not think they
would have maps of South America. Any suggestions?

Tim

>From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>
>To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
>Subject: Re: Pertensis
>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:28:35 -0600
>

>Tim Ellis wrote:
>
>> >From: Mike & Diane Wise <apistowise@bewellnet.com>
>> >To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
>> >Subject: Re: Pertensis
>> >Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 11:47:51 -0600
>> >

>> >Can you find out precisely where these fish were collected on the
>> upper Orinoco?
>> >Collection data are very scarce & any info is valuable.
>> >

>> I will have do check with Roger to see if he has gotten a more
>> detailed location of where they were collected. Hello Roger are you
>> out there?????
>>

>> >I assume you mean the Mayland & Bork book published by Landbuch
>> Verlag (German) or
>> >Verlag A.C.S. (English).
>> >

>> Oops!I stand corrected. I was at work and memory failed me.
>>

>> >Many apistos show this feature. Is the caudal peduncle patch more
of
>> a band, like in
>> >A. sp. Orangesaum, or more oval (American football) shaped like in
>> A. sp.
>> >Vierstreifen?
>> >
>> The one that is showing abdominal stripes is about 3-4 cm, has 3
>> abdominal strokes, the black patch is more banded than oval. The
>> Dorsal has small sawtooth edges and now the caudal fin is looking
>> like a bilobated with small extended filaments on top and bottom.
On
>> the face there are lots of blue speckles, preorbital and suborbital
>> stripes and a black spot on the bottom lip/jaw. The lip/jaw spot
>> looks just like my A. broadband. There are also two very small fish
>> that are showing remarkable resemblance to small female A.
>> broadbands.I guess this rules out pertensis.
>
>Sounds like A. sp. Breitbinden (Broad-banded) or A. sp. Breitbinden
(Caño
>Morrocoy). The latter is a color form of A. sp. Breitbinden found
around Puerto
>Ayacucho, Venezuela.
>
>> The one large female
>> that I spoke of earlier is a twin to the Mayland & Bork picture
found
>> on page 124, in body shape and head shape, but definitely not in
body
>> color.
>
>I wouldn't expect to see the intense colors shown in their book.
They are more
>"fish belly white", right?
>

>> >Actually they don't have "fused fins" at all. A fused fin has the
>> lappets (fleshy
>> >membrane) growing together without any saw toothed indentations in
>> the fin. A.
>> >borellii, A. pertensis and its relatives show this best in their
>> sailfins.
>> >
>> >Your fish may be young pertensis-group fish that haven't developed
>> their sailfin yet
>> >or, hopefully, are A. sp. Orangesaum/Minima/Weißsaum. Good luck
with
>> them and let us
>> >know if you get them breeding
>> >
>> >Mike Wise