RE: Peat and Substrate for growout tanks

I have found that a small clay pot filled with a peat / topsoil mix planted
with your favorite aquatic plant works wonders for stabilizing small tanks
w/ or w/out substrate.  Large gravel is used to keep fish from digging out
the soil.  I have never had any anaerobic problems which I thought would
happen. Probably because of the porosity of the clay. The plant grows much
better because of the soil and it is approx. 4 inches closer to the surface
lighting.  You can move the plant when cleaning or to another tank if you
want.  the water in these tanks is crystal clear.  It is also aesthetically
pleasing to both fishkeeper and fish.   As for floating plants....Java fern
is the best lowlight plant I have found for this application.
Be good to yourself,
		      Brett
Brett Kemker, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication Disorders