Re: Wardley Complete Remedy? (kind of long) :(

From: Sherry Bunch
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 9:54 PM

> I just announced a few days ago that I had finally gotten the Blue
> Rams I had been waiting for so long on. Now I hope someone
> can help me on a problem with them.
>
> One of the six started showing signs of heavy breathing with
> swollen gills soon after acclimation to my tank, while the others
> seemed fine...The sick one lasted until this morning, almost
> exactly a week since I'd gotten them. Now a few more are
> beginning to breathe heavily also.
>
> ...They are currently in a 10gal. w/ 4 small zebra danios. The
> danios are showing no signs of distress...
>
> I asked my LFS about the possibility of gill flukes a few days
> before the first one died...I can't think of anything else that
> might be causing this as they show no other signs and it
> seems to be contagious...

This malady seems quite common to Rams and is difficult to attribute to a
single cause.

My guess is that once the first Ram died, curiosity would've lead you to an
examination of the gill area. Flukes may be difficult to see with the naked
eye (for some people, anyway), but are readily apparent with even the
slightest magnification. Things like protozoan infections are another
matter.

Another theory I've heard is that it may be a response to bacterial
exposure, most commonly associated with too dense a shipping population,
while a third considers it a delayed response to elevated ammonia levels
under the same conditions. My thoughts are that any type of "ammonia burn"
or wide-spread bacterial exposure would not be so delayed and that more of
the population would immediately display symptoms, rather than one or two
fish at a time - especially once they were placed in a clean environment.

So my vote usually goes toward some sort of protist...