Re: Laetacara thayeri: 2nd batch

Tsuh Yang,

I agree with Helen. It's unlikely that many fry will survive, if any. Enjoy the
fish as a community member but don't expect anything more. I personally find it a
shame that you don't have any extra tanks to at least siphon out & raise some of
the larvae. Laetacara thayeri isn't common in the hobby.

As for your knifefish, all gymnotids are nocturnal hunters or live in dark (deep
or muddy) water. Your E. virescens will probably reach 1' (30 cm) in length and
will hunt down any fish small enough to fit in their mouths (you'd be surprised
how large it is!) They hunt in the dark using electrical sensors to find their
prey. Like most South American fish, they prefer soft & acid water. The reason so
many don't survive in our tanks is that the don't like to eat during the day and
most people don't feed at night. They require meaty foods - mostly live with some
frozen or freeze-dried. They also seem to do best in schools. This is not a
community fish. This is one of those times when it is really worth having a good
general reference. I recommend Baensch's Atlas (at least v.1).

Mike Wise