A iniridae spawning?

Hi All

I have a pair of iniridae that seem to be going through spawning
behaviour - I think.

The female has lost her lateral line and just has a big square spot
instead, she has also gone a nice peachy colour and both she and the
male have started defending an area  quite vigourously.  The male still
'flirts' shimmers and flick his tail in her face so I feel they havent
spawned yet.

The pH is 5.5 and the temp is quite warm, last few days have been hot
here.

Am I reading the behaviour correctly?
Has any one bred these guys?   If so what water conditions?
Is Linke & Staeck right when they say the eggs arent viable unless the
pH is under 5?

Lotsa questions, :)

Thanks

Steph