Re: Apistos by Trade Names

David,

Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis comes in several minor color variations but most
look like the one in Linke & Stack, except with pale blue flanks. I think that
the pink flanks on Mayland & Bork's photo are reflecting false color. I've only
had this species once & my males looked like the L&S fish except when sunlight
hit them. Then the colors were spectacularly metallic! Each spot in the tail was
candy apple red on turquoise blue (or is it visa versa? It's hard to tell.). The
same was true for the dorsal & anal fins. My only recommendation is to keep them
in a tank with lots of plants. The fry are smaller than Ram fry & can't handle
new bbs for the 1st 2-3 days. I found that most of the fry survived the 1st few
days on micro-organisms living in Java Moss.

best wishes,

Mike